Thursday, February 7, 2008

Souper Mate




Sopa be Albondigas
(Meatball Soup)






Last night I went to talk to my husband while he was brushing his teeth I said "I need to get some pictures of the soup I made". He said "Pictures of your Super Mate??" Then he started to flex his muscles and pose actually thinking that is what I said. I was dying laughing!

Anyways, here are the actual pictures of the soup I made (I know you all really want the other pictures - sorry I don't share!)

This is a great soup. My family loves it on a cold Colorado day.

Sopa de Albondigas

1 med chopped Onion (1/2 c)
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp oil
4 cups water
2 cans chicken broth
1 can tomato paste
2 c potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 c sliced carrots
(any other veggies)
1 beaten egg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb ground meat
1/4 c rice

In and large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in water, broth and tomato paste. Bring to boiling. Add potatoes and carrots. Simmer 5 minutes. Meanwhile combine meat, egg, rice and spices - mix well with hands, make meatballs. Add meatballs to soup a few at a time to slowly simmering soup. Return soup to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 45 minutes or until veggies are done.
Cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips are great on top!

p.s. The kids love making the meatballs!






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am glad you posted for this. The soup looks great and I will have to try it.

Your hubs is silly, kind of like mine. I am, however, glad that you chose to post the recipe. ;)

Renna said...

I am a soup lover, and am thrilled at all the yummy soup recipes I'm finding linked at Randi's!

Just so I'm clear, do you not cook or 'brown' the meatballs before adding them to the soup?

I am looking forward to making this for my family. Yum!

Junie Moon said...

What a fun recipe! It sounds so yummy. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, you are too funny, well - your husband is quite silly and I can picture you double over with laughter.

I am making potato soup tomorrow night (which is our fellowship night) and found a recipe on Randi's blog. Now I have something for next week that will especially make Paul happy, he loves meatballs!!!

Yummy recipe, great chuckle for the day!!!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Love, love, love soups!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I need a clarification also. I am planning on making this next week. Do I cook the meatballs before adding to the soup or not? This is confusing me and it is already way past my bedtime, so I am tired already!!